Job Title: Design Engineer
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Level: Entry to Mid-Level
Employment Type: Full-time
Dockzilla Co. has redefined the material handling category, helping customers re-envision their loading and logistics operations with heavy-steel loading docks, ramps, platforms, and modular building structures. Our design engineers ensure that our customers receive Dockzilla’s high quality, heavy steel loading equipment to increase performance velocity at their loading operations.
As a Design Engineer at Dockzilla, you’ll be part of an engineering team that develops novel and innovative solutions to fulfill our customer sales orders. You’ll be responsible for engineering DZ product configurations from initial concept to installation. Using Solidworks and AutoCAD, you’ll design new products, modify existing models, and create project-specific drawings to support manufacturing, shipping and installation.
Working in our continuous improvement environment, the Design Engineer will work with our manufacturing partners to ensure that Dockzilla products are fabricated and assembled based on the intended functionality of the design. You’ll collaborate with sales, project management, manufacturing, and service teams to ensure that product designs and documentation meet order requirements.
This position reports to Dockzilla’s Director of Engineering, and you’ll have the opportunity to support our company’s founder and Chief Engineer, who holds nearly 40 patents. As a member of our operations group, you’ll be eligible to participate in Dockzilla’s bonus program that rewards employees when the company meets its quarterly revenue and profitability goals.
- Collaborate with Sales & Applications Engineering to understand customer requirements and order specifications to design products and solutions
- Use Computer Aided Design/Drafting (CAD) software (Auto-CAD and Solidworks) to:
- Create new or modify existing designs to fit the customer’s application requirements
- Conceptualize and design new products, and contribute to our R&D process
- Modify and/or create drawings for components, weldments and assemblies
- Create or modify shipping & installation drawings to ensure high quality product transport & delivery
- Work with our manufacturing partners to ensure that Dockzilla products are built to quality standards
- Provide prompt, accurate responses to special applications inquiries
- Generate product documentation such as product manuals or other documentation as required
- Troubleshoot field issues and develop immediate and long term solutions
- Assist with the implementation of our ERP software (Microsoft Dynamics) as needed
Education & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- 1-5 years of experience in design or engineering
- Experience in Computer Aided Design/Drafting (CAD): Auto-CAD and Solidworks strongly preferred
- Experience with steel fabrication, hydraulics and or controls is beneficial, but not required
Skills & Abilities
- Extreme attention-to-detail and desire to learn new skills
- Ability to diagnose technical issues and share solutions and knowledge with other team members
- Proficiency with ERP software, spreadsheets and word processing
- Interpersonal skills to develop and maintain professional working relationships with customers, production management, and co-workers
- Ability to communicate effectively with and direct field service/warranty personnel as needed
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and manage high complexity projects
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet project timeline needs and troubleshoot job issues
- Report to Dockzilla’s Minnetonka, MN based office
- Sit or stand for 8-10 hours per day
- Ability to travel overnight to visit manufacturers, or oversee product installations
- Approximately 15% of the time.
- Ability to lift 30+ lbs. and perform moderate physical activity (R&D testing or installations)
To apply for this job email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org